HomeHealth5 WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR ATTENTION SPAN

5 WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR ATTENTION SPAN

You are not alone if your mind tends to wander . It turns out human brains are in the moment for just over half of our waking hours , according to a study from Harvard University , a sad 53%. The other 47% of time we are zoned out, thinking of something else .
Unfortunately, mind wandering can happen at the wrong moment – like when you are asked a question by your lecturer .

If you will like to increase your attention span and stay focused for more than half a day , there are five easy things you can do .

1. MEDITATE
  Meditation is one of the best ways to improve your focus, as it is the mental training of your attention . It trains your brain stay at attention for a longer periods of time. Study has shown that students who meditated 10 to 20minutes four times a week for  2 weeks scored higher on memory test than students who just changed their nutrition .

2. EXERCISE
Exercise doesn’t just improve your physical fitness, it also improves your focus . A short walk will do it . Study shows that physical activity tend to improve cognitive control. Exercise for about 20minuges daily would help improve your memory and attention span.

3. LISTEN TO MUSIC
  A study at Stanford University School of Medicine found out that listening to short music engages with the area of the brain involved in paying attention, making predictions and updating the event in memory. While the music is helpful, it is the short period of silence between the musical movements that peak brain activities .
In a concert setting for example, different individuals listen to a piece of music with wandering attention, but at the transition point between movements , their attention is arrested” writes Vinod Menon, Professor of Psychiatry and Behaviour

4. STAY HYDRATED
Being dehydrated isn’t just bad for your body; it is bad for your attention span . At the University of Barcelona, a study found at that mild dehydration as little as 2% can negatively impact your ability to concentrate . In fact, a 2% drop in  dehydration is not enough to trigger thirst.
So before you go into any situation that needs attention,drink a lot of water and take a large bottle of water along .

5. DRINK TEA
Coffee might make you alert, but tea can help you pay attention. Black tea contains an amino acid called L- theanine , which have been shown to directly affect areas of the brain that control attention . In Netherlands , a study done showed that tea drinkers are able to pay attention and perform tasks better than those who were given coffee to drink .

  I know your attention would have wandered few times while reading this article .But not to worry , you made it to the last paragraph . Try to improve your attention span by practicing these five easy things listed in this article and you will be great at staying glued to when your lecturers are lecturing or your boss giving presentations .

owoborode Oluwatomi
I am a writer, content creator , Podcaster and a chemist . Winners never quit and quitters never win
RELATED ARTICLES

Leave a Reply

Most Popular

Recent Comments